Saturday, July 28, 2012

The City of Roses

   Well we finally made it to our new home for the next 4 years on Wednesday. Then on Thursday found out that McKay's dad had some work for him to do so we zoomed home from Ikea, threw some clothes in a bag (then forgot to grab Brinlee's bag and diapers) and headed north 11 hours to Fairfield, MT. Oh the adventures! But we are really glad that we were able to come up to Montana one more time before school starts to be with family. McKay is about 4 hours away giving Potable water to firefighters. It's a crazy job because fires can be so unpredictable. One day it's here the next day gone and then the next day another has already burned down 10 houses. We are really grateful that McKay has the opporunity to work and to help his dad out. Never in my life did I think I would pray for fires! There's a lot of things I pray for that I never thought I would being married to a farm boy : )
  I took a bunch of pics of our box filled apartment, then forgot to bring the camera of course. But it looks a lot like our appartment in Rexburg, except it's not stuck in the 70's except for the fact that theres NO light in the bedrooms (so I'm thinking a man must have designed it cause no way would a girl forget to put lights in a room that you get dressed in), and it's on what would be the busiest street in Rexburg times 10, there are 2 Targets within 3 miles from our place, and the Zoo is right down the street too. Ok so it's a little different from our home in Rexburg.
   I feel like going to Portland was a trip or some kind of dream and that when McKay is done working we will head back to Rexburg and start another semester of school. It will be a weird transition but we are so grateful for it. My testimony of our Savior has grown a lot since McKay and I have been married. especially after this move. I know he knows each of us better then anybody else does and knows exactly what we need, when we need it. Now I don't know how I am going to survive without hanging out with my sis jess and Krew or having my mom come down to visit all the time, but I know that this is where we are supposed to be right now and I am excited.
    A few facts about our new home:
- Nicknames: City of Roses ( Mother I think it's time you see the gardens again : )), beertown (great...), and soccer City USA (double great... I am not a fan of soccer! remember our little trip here Mom, Dad, and meg?)
- As of the 2010 Census, it had a population of 583,776, making it the 29th most populous city in the United States, but has Approximately 2,260,000 people that live in the Portland metropolitan area.
- Portland has a climate marked by warm, dry summers and wet but mild winters, which makes it perfect climate to grow roses. (Mother don't you think it's time that you and dad change locations?)


I think Mckay will be going to school for his 3rd and 4th year a few buildings to the right of the the long bridge in the middle. They are still in the process of building it.


post for when we get back: in 24 hours we have- heard someone almost get killed, almost got killed oursleves, Brinlee's affraid of her reflection, and can you guess where we got our new furniture!
P.S. we expect our place to always have visitors so come visit us!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you guys made it safe and sound. It sounds like you guys have had some crazy busyness going on, but I'm glad you get to be with family one more time before school starts up there too. Just knowing you guys aren't just in Rexburg anymore makes me miss you even more: ) But I'm excited for you guys and this new chapter in your life. It'll be neat to see what Heavenly Father has in store for you way up there! Love you guys tons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can believe it, we've never been to Oregon. Since we are neighbors (more or less--at least our states share a border), maybe we'll drop in and see you. I think you are the kind of people who bloom where they are planted. I'm pretty sure you'll end up loving Portland. Your mom needs new places to visit, so it's good you are giving her one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well if it involves beautiful rose gardens, you can probably get me to come visit you :).

    I agree with Aunt Judy; you'll find great things about wherever you live. Let the adventure begin!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooooo excited for you guys! We miss you so much though. It just isn't the same here!!! We are hoping to get out there soon and will DEFINITELY visit you guys when we do. I'm glad we are lifelong friends! XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you feel. Its like we will all go back to school after our internships and after a couple of year. Weird that this could all be permanent. Glad you got to Portland safe and sound. We can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete