June 20th 2011 Monday
I feft awesome on monday. The thought of Brinlee being born still in the back of my head. Trying hard to concentrate on school and get everything done I could before she got here. around 3ish, when I was in my last class of the day, my braxton hicks started to hurt. I had been getting braxton hicks since I was about 28 weeks along, so they weren't new to me, but the pain that started coming with them was. But they were unregular and I was still a week from my due date and she was supposed to come pass her due date, so I could finish school.
That evening it was getting a little bit harder to concentrate on hw with my contractions. I'm not really a bath taker, but I took one that night and it helped me feel better until I got out. I went to bed and continued having contractions throughout the night. I didn't get much sleep that night. I remember just looking at the clock and timing. 10 minutes a part.
June 21 2011 Tuesday first day of summer!
I don't have classes on Tuesdays which worked out perfectly. That morning I was still having contractions, only they were feeling a little stronger than they did the day before. I called my mom and see convinced me to go into my doctor just to have them check me. McKay had CNA classes to go to, so he wasn't able to come with me.
I called my doctor around 9:30 and told them I would be in around 10:30 but showed up at 10:15 cause I couldn't wait any longer. I felt so stupid going in. I knew they were probably thinking, "oh this silly first time mom thinks shes in labor." As I apologized and said that I was probably just being stupid, they checked me and said I was dilated between a 3-4 and was about 85% e-faced (sp?). oh man that's it! She told me I was going to have this baby either today or tomorrow. I laughed and said are you kidding me. I was not expecting that! She told me to go home and back.
I went home and between having contractions and being in denial, I only packed my straightening iron. (which I laugh about now, cause I didn't even think about it once while I was at the hospital). I went outside to continue pushing through my contractions and get some fresh air. Our apartment feels a lot smaller when your feeling like you can't breathe.
I was talking to friends outside when McKay finally got home from classes. hunched over ready to pass out, McKay gave me one look and ran up to our apartment to threw up. We all thought he was just nervous. McKay you can't be nervous! I need you by my side! Well he wasn't nervous. He had the stomach flu! Ok way worse then being nervous. McKay you can't have the stomach flu while I'm in labor!
A couple of our friends came up to our apartment to help me out and to see if McKay was still alive. As I was having contractions, McKay was in the bathroom throwing up. 3 o'clock came and McKay left for a 2 hour lab. Thankfully the Schmidts, a couple of our friends, stayed with me and counted my contrations.
Ashley’s Contractions: June 21
3:27 pm-6 minutes apart: lasted one minute
333-6 minute apart: lasted one minute
339-6 minutes apart: lasted one minute
345-6 minutes apart: lasted one minute
351-6 minutes apart: lasted one minute
359-8 minutes apart: lasted one minute
406-7 minutes apart: lasted almost 2 minutes
413-7 minutes apart: lasted one minute
420-7 minutes apart: lasted one minute
427-7 minutes apart: lasted one minute
434-7 minutes apart: lasted one minute ten seconds
442-8 minutes apart: lasted 90 seconds
449-7 ½ min apart: lasted 45 seconds
456-5 minutes apart: lasted 55 seconds
503-7 minutes apart: lasted 65 seconds
509-6 minutes apart: lasted 60 seconds
515-6 minutes apart: lasted 60 seconds
518-3 minutes apart: lasted 45 seconds
522-4 ½ minutes apart: lasted 50 seconds
526-4 minutes apart: lasted 45 seconds
532-6 minutes apart: lasted 70 seconds
536- 4 ½ minutes apart: lasted 50 seconds
540-4 minutes apart: lasted 40 seconds
542-2 ½ minutes apart: lasted 50 seconds
546- 4 minutes apart: lasted 70 seconds
550- 4 minutes apart: lasted 45 second
552-2 minutes apart: lasted 30 seconds
554-2 minutes apart: lasted 45 seconds
Thanks Sara and Jamas for keeping track of my contractions! You guys were awesome company and a lot of help!
McKay got home at 5:30. I called my mom who again had to convince me to go in. Thanks mom. And get checked. So I finished packing and McKay and I went to the hospital. I once again was in denial and felt stupid for going in. As I got checked by a nurse McKay laid on the floor curled up trying not to lose it. poor McKay. I was still going between a 3-4 but a little closer to 4 and 90% e-faced. They told me to walk around for an hour. An hour! Between McKay dying on my hospital bed and me not progressing even with killer contractions, I wanted to leave this life right then and there. There was no where to walk in the hospital and I had no one to tell me to breath through my contractions.
The nurse had me come back into the room and she checked me again. She told me she would say I'm at a 4 so that I could be admitted. THANK YOU! Can I get my epidural please?! I think I could of lasted a little longer if McKay wasn't feeling sick. But I'm a wimp and couldn't go through it alone. They brought me to my room and an hour later I got my epidural. Thank you again! My epidural guy was not in a good mood. Something about the nurses not communicating about there being patients in the labor and delivering rooms. Please don't take that out on me epi guy! Once I got my epidural everything was awesome! Sadly McKay went home to sleep in our bed. Something about the bed not being comfortable. I don't know what he was talking about, my bed was heaven!
June 22, 2011 Wednesday
12:41 My water broke. The nurse checked me. I was still at a 4 but was 100% e-faced. Thank goodness for epidurals! I don't think I could of went through all those contractions, especially when I wasn't progressing at all. at 4 am she checked me again. I was at a 10! She said I would start pushing in an hour. Cause my doctor was busy. Oh of course I can wait for an hour for my doctor, sorry for the inconvenience doc! I called McKay and told him to come back to the hospital.
I started pushing at 5 and Brinlee Kay came at 5:54 am! She had defecated before I delivered her so they had extra people in the room, because they thought she had aspirated some of it. When she came out she didn't cry. Which was scary, cause that's something every mother waits for. That first cry. They tried everything from pinching to rubbing her. She never cried. She looked good and they don't think she aspirated anything, so they just ended up giving up on her crying. finally I got to hold her!
Waiting patiently to hold my baby
Holding his daughter for the first time
poor guy. He looks as exhausted as I was
Our visiters!
My sister Jess and her son Krew (2)
Burping her for the first time
My awesome mom!
Sara and Jamason Schmidt and their son Tyler. Our awesome friends who helped us out a lot through out this whole thing.
Brins looking at her new world
My room post labor
Her going home outfit. Notice the MJ socks! Shes wearing this outfit today and it's now a shirt instead of a dress! it's amazing how fast they grow!
Home figuring out how to take out the carseat
Now what?!
Her Stats:
5lbs 6 oz
17 3/4 " long
good amount of brown hair
I can't believe it has already been a month! I love the thumb picture in the next post:)
ReplyDeleteMy kids used to love to hear the stories of their births on their birthdays. Brinlee will love this some day!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI've looked at this post before, but for some reason, I'm just now posting a comment.... Congratulations! I'm so excited for you! You'll be a great mom. How exciting to have your first child! I can't imagine going through labor during class! Wow!
ReplyDelete